For us, sustainability is not just a good idea – it’s the reason why we exist. Each one of us is an ambassador of our core values, shares our vision for Clean Oceans and Clean Air and believes in our mission to remove over 1 Million tonnes of non-recyclable plastic waste from our environment, every year. What brings us together is the belief that “Everyone deserves better”.
On this page:
You break it down...
Each Clean Planet ecoPlant can process 60 tonnes of waste plastics a day, to give some perspective, that's the equivalence of 12 million yoghurt pots, every day.
Our mission is to process 1 million tonnes every year, which is almost 3,000 tonnes a day (or 600 million yoghurt pots)
Find out what happens when Clean Planet's ecoPlants have access to this capacity...
Reducing Carbon Emissions
Clean Planet Energy’s ecoPlants recover valuable commodities and create liquid fuels (Naphtha, Ultra-Clean Diesel and Fuel Oil) from waste plastics, whilst minimising the GHG emissions associated with a conventional fossil fuel (e.g. diesel) process.
Clean Planet’s liquid fuels provide at least a 75% reduction in CO2e emissions compared to traditional fossil fuels.
Trust and authenticity is at Clean Planet Energy's core, to verify the above statement (among others) Clean Planet Energy commissioned a 3rd party peer-reviewed study with a focus on quantifying the potential reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions that can be achieved by producing Clean Planet's products from waste plastics, compared to that of conventional fossil fuel derived products.
This study was authored & validated by:
Stopford is an international energy and environment consultancy providing innovative multidisciplinary solutions to a global market. For the last 35 years Stopford are leaders in the energy and environment sector
The leading provider of Carbon consultancy services and Carbon Training Courses in the UK and Ireland, delivering verification and management of carbon projects that conforms with the global standard.
Key findings from this study include:
• Extraction: As CPE's process feedstock is derived from waste plastics, extraction phase GHG emissions are calculated to be zero.
• Production: The application of CPE's proprietary pyrolysis and oil-upgrading technology enables an estimated 47% reduction in production phase GHG emission, for all liquid hydrocarbon products, compared to that of a conventional fossil fuel process. This can be attributed to the fact that CPE's ecoPlants are designed to be self-powered, utilising a combination of pyrolysis gas and solar-PV technology to meet process heat and power demand.
• Usage: Whilst no GHG emission savings were calculated forecast through the usage phase (combustion) of CPE's liquid hydrocarbon fuel products, compared to fossil fuel-derived equivalents, a significant reduction in NOx, CO and SOx emissions are anticipated from the use of CPE's fuels.
• Well-to-Tank: As CPE's liquid hydrocarbon fuels are produced from non-recyclable waste plastics, displacing fossil fuel derived fuel production as well as avoiding plastics disposal via incineration, maximum GHG emissions savings of up to 330% (416 kgCO2e/barrel) are anticipated compared to conventional fossil fuel derived processes and products.
• Well-to-Wheel: As CPE's liquid hydrocarbon fuels are produced from non-recyclable waste plastics, displacing fossil fuel derived fuel production as well as avoiding plastics disposal via incineration, maximum life cycle GHG emissions savings of up to 78% are anticipated compared to conventional fossil fuel derived processes and products.
• #1: Clean Planet's liquid fuels provide at least a 78% reduction in CO2e emissions compared to traditional fossil fuels, considering 100% incineration avoidance.
• #2: Clean Planet's liquid fuels provide at least a 48% reduction in CO2e emissions compared to traditional fossil fuels, considering 50% incineration avoidance and 50% landfill avoidance.
• #3: For every barrel of Clean Planet's liquid fuel used in replacement of traditional fossil fuels, 416 kg of CO2e emissions are stopped from entering the atmosphere, considering 100% incineration avoidance.
• #4: For every barrel of Clean Planet's liquid fuel used in replacement of traditional fossil fuels, 257 kg of CO2e emissions are stopped from entering the atmosphere, considering 50% incineration and 50%landfill avoidance.
• #5: For every barrel of Clean Planet's liquid fuel used in replacement of traditional fossil fuels, 98 kg of CO2e emissions are stopped from entering the atmosphere, considering 100% landfill avoidance.
• #6: CPE's ecoPlants are designed to be self-powered, utilising the syngas produced to heat and power the production plant. In addition, solar PV technology is designed to be used to meet any excess power demand.
We advocate a new way of doing business. Our ecoPlants can process and recycle almost any plastic that would otherwise end up in landfill, incinerated or in our environment.
By replacing fossil hydrocarbons with recycled plastic material, we extract as much value as possible from existing resources while eliminating waste, greenhouse gas emissions and ensuring a sustainable circular economy.
Our liquid outputs are used to make new plastics, new industrial materials and replace fossil fuels. The alternative is to extract more fossil fuel from the earth to make these products.
- From: A Global Snapshot of the Air Pollution-Related Health Impacts, icct, 2019
We often talk about the reduction in CO2e emissions achieved by our ecoPlant and use of ultra-clean fuels, but SOx and NOx emissions are poisons responsible for millions of early deaths every year.
All our liquid fuels have 'negligible' NOx & SOx emissions, meaning it's almost zero, this is of stark contrast to fossil based fuels. Because it's bad...
= 2 million cars
One large cruise ship sailing for a day delivers the same NOx emissions as 420,000 cars, and 375 million cars for SOx emissions!
The equivalent SOx if
Clean Planet fuel is used
"Ambient air pollution is the leading environmental health risk factor globally, resulting in nearly 3.5 million premature deaths in 2017 from stroke, ischemic heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, lower respiratory infections, and diabetes."
Our ecoPlants are self-powered! We capture the excess gas from Plastic > Oil Process. The excess gas then is fed into an on-site generator and used as a syn-gas. We save the CO2 emissions for every ~1.5MW per year that we don't use!
Our excess heat circulates back to the operation and/or through a Combined Heat & Power Systems unit (CHP) converts the heat to electricity to use in our facilities.
We source our feedstock from local areas and we have applied a km restriction to our providers to avoid the CO2 emission from the transportation of tracks. We reduce the distance plastic travels.
We build our ecoPlants following the BREEAM construction standards and we have set specific targets to use reclaimed and recycled material to our construction.
Our ecoPlants are not just engineering facilities. Our unique “outer shell” design makes us different. They include nature reserves, lagoons and even wormeries!
The design of our plant enables one-way driving of trucks. Along with our storage facilities we aim for low noise levels and minimise the distraction to the community.
One more thing...
Beyond the direct CO2e and Pollutant reductions generated from our ecoPlants, Clean Planet are committed to expanding our sustainability outreach, this includes our Regeneration investment arm.
We aim to support the planting of one new tree for every tonne of plastic we process.
Clean Planet are the platinum partner of Trees for Life. Read about their amazing work below
25 years of growth
For over 25 years Trees for Life have worked with thousands of volunteers to rescue the Caledonian Forest in Scotland.
Trees for Life has planted nearly two million trees
The UK governments "Green Industrial Revolution" #9 is 'planting 30,000 hectares of trees every year'
Support Clean Planet & Trees For Life joint mission by donating further resources to life.